Tuesday, March 27, 2012

September Baby October Baby

A few months ago when I first saw a preview on the internet for the movie "October Baby" I actually said a prayer asking God for a way to see this movie.  If I was crying during the extended trailer I knew it would be a powerful movie.  Unfortunately it was not playing in Springfield.  The closest showing was Peoria.  My husband and I value our weekends together so it wasn't likely I would say adios for a day to travel there, see the movie, and travel back.  

This past week started by my husband saying, "Oh yeah, there's a bachelor party I'm going to Saturday if that's alright."  And then my mom called, "I'd really like to see you and the kids.  You're dad's not sure how he'll be feeling so we'll decide at the end of the week if we can make it there or maybe you could come here or meet halfway."  Friday mom called, "Do you think we could meet in Peoria?"  Then it dawned on me.  My parents had some missed baby-sitting opportunities in the past because of last minute changes in our plans.  "Yes, Peoria sounds GREAT.  Do you think you can watch the kids for two hours while I go to a movie?"

So on Saturday afternoon we met up, I gave mom the car, and they went literally across the street to the Shoppes of Grand Prairie to have ice cream and play.  Dad even bought a wagon with two seats and a canopy.  When I walked up I thought the ticket guy would say, "October What?"  I thought I'd be the only one in the theater.  When I turned the corner though there was a good crowd.  By the time the movie started, people were scooting into the empty seats in between to make room for more patrons.  It was SO encouraging.  And the movie was just fantastic.  It was well casted, well written, and  not agenda driven (not to be confused with having a message).  It was just a well told and played out story that you could immerse yourself in.  It wasn't cheesy or predictable.  It was just a QUALITY screenplay.  Check out the trailer...





On Sunday the youth group I lead sponsored a talk by my friend Bonnie.  The talk was about the events of her son born a year ago September and how they have been investigated for the cause for beatification of Archbishop Fulton Sheen.  She did such a beautiful job.  Everyone there was moved and had only positive feedback (those from the Jr High PSR class up to those from other parishes).  Our deacon left afterward to go to the parish men's group already in progress and said he had to reprimand them because it was just the best talk they all should have been at.  Bonnie did a great job of expressing her faith and put into perspective how the recounting of her son's alleged miracle is a story about the generosity and love of God and His Church. 

Let us pray for the cause for canonization of Archbishop Fulton Sheen:

Heavenly Father, source of all holiness, You raise up within the Church in every age men and women who serve with heroic love and dedication. You have blessed Your Church through the life and ministry of Your faithful servant, Archbishop Fulton J Sheen. He has written and spoken well of Your Divine Son, Jesus Christ, and was a true instrument of the Holy Spirit in touching the hearts of countless people.
If it be according to Your Will, for the honor and glory of the Most Holy Trinity and for the salvation of souls, we ask You to move the Church to proclaim him a saint. We ask this prayer through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Please be respectful.